Main Index>>Basic Statistics>How to find a five number summary in statistics
Can’t figure out a five number summary in statistics? The five number summary consists of 5 items: minimum, Q1 , median, Q3, and maximum. This how to article will guide you through finding the answers in a few easy steps.
- Step 1: Put your numbers in order.
- Step 2: Find the minimum and maximum.
In the example in step 1, the minimum is 1 and the maximum is 27
- Step 3: Find the median (how to find a median).
- Step 4:Place parentheses around the numbers above and below the median.
Not technically necessary, but it makes Q1 and Q3 easier to find.
- Step 5: Find Q1 and Q3
Q1 can be thought of as a median in the lower half of the data, and Q3 can be thought of as a median for the upper half of data.
(1,2,5,6,7), 9, ( 12,15,18,19,27)
- Step 6: Write down your five number summary found in the above 5 steps.
minimum=1, Q1 =5, median=9, Q3=18, and maximum=27.