General steps for solving normal probability practice problems:
- Use the equation above to find a z-score. If you don’t know how to look up z-scores (or if you want more practice, see this z-score article for videos and step-by-step instructions.
- Look up the z-score in the z-table and find the area.
- Convert the area to a percentage.
If you more need help with these steps, see the normal distribution word problems index, which outlines the steps in detail (with videos).
Normal Probability Practice Problems.
Click on the question for the answer!
4. The amount of time a student taking statistics spends on studying for a test is normally distributed. If the average time spent studying is 12 hours and the standard deviation is 4 hours, what is the probability that a student will spend more than 8 hours studying?
5. The amount of candy dispensed by a candy machine is normally distributed with a mean of 0.9 oz and a standard deviation of 0.1 ounces. If the machine is used 500 times, how many times will it dispense more than 1 oz of candy?
Check out our YouTube channel for more stats help and tips!
Stephanie Glen. "Normal Probability Practice Problems and Answers" From StatisticsHowTo.com: Elementary Statistics for the rest of us! https://www.statisticshowto.com/normal-probability-practice-problems/
Need help with a homework or test question? With Chegg Study, you can get step-by-step solutions to your questions from an expert in the field. Your first 30 minutes with a Chegg tutor is free!
Comments? Need to post a correction? Please post a comment on our Facebook page.