General steps for solving normal probability practice problems:
- Use the equation above to find a z-score. If you don’t know how to look up z-scores (or if you want more practice, see this z-score article for videos and step-by-step instructions.
- Look up the z-score in the z-table and find the area.
- Convert the area to a percentage.
If you more need help with these steps, see the normal distribution word problems index, which outlines the steps in detail (with videos).
Normal Probability Practice Problems.
Click on the question for the answer!
4. The amount of time a student taking statistics spends on studying for a test is normally distributed. If the average time spent studying is 12 hours and the standard deviation is 4 hours, what is the probability that a student will spend more than 8 hours studying?
5. The amount of candy dispensed by a candy machine is normally distributed with a mean of 0.9 oz and a standard deviation of 0.1 ounces. If the machine is used 500 times, how many times will it dispense more than 1 oz of candy?
Check out our YouTube channel for more stats help and tips!
If you prefer an online interactive environment to learn R and statistics, this free R Tutorial by Datacamp is a great way to get started. If you're are somewhat comfortable with R and are interested in going deeper into Statistics, try this Statistics with R track.Comments are now closed for this post. Need help or want to post a correction? Please post a comment on our Facebook page and I'll do my best to help!